Wednesday, October 15, 2008

we don't speak the same language

What is so fun about being in a relationship? You're always worried abouth them and they you, and then you're worried that their worried, and you have to figure them in to all your plans for the future, with anything that you decide directly affecting them... and then there are the arguments, the stupid little fucking arguments that blow things all out of proportions, like for example, last night when Julio and I agreed to meet at six and we both sat around for half an hour waiting for each other in the same fucking place without seeing one another. He left without calling me, pissed and when I called him he was so angry at me, where was I and what time did I think it was? I asked him the same question. When we finally met at seven he was still shitty, how is this my fault? I asked. He didn't buy into any of this mutual acceptance of blame. It was my fault. He complained that he waited around for thirty minutes in the cold for me and I din't turn up. I was fucking sitting over there the whole time, pointing to a seat opposite the metro. I told him that I was cold to and I bet he didn't get into an argument with a crazy local about the difference between frogs and toads (sapos y ranas). He didn't find my attempts to lighten the mood very amusing. We walked for a while in silence when I finally said that if he would prefer meeting up another day it was okay. He shook my hand, yes fucking shook my hand and stormed off.

I sent him this message:
Tú eres una de las pricipales razones por las que yo estoy aquí. Quiero que entiendas que estoy tratando tanto como es posible.

Loosly translated: You are one of the principle reasons why I am here. I want you to know that I am trying as hard as is humanly possible.

What else can I do?

Quick addendum: It turns out that when he said "thirty minutes", he didn't mean "meet me in thirty minutes". He was sitting round waiting for me while I went and got a coffee. This was why he cracked it. Ah... mi culpa. Woe the joys of being lost in translation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I love that in hindsight the whole thing resulted from a translation problem. I forgot about your blog, now I see you've been writing in it for a few weeks. You must be coming home really soon. Do you feel like being back in Melbourne or do you wish you could stay over there much longer?

g-man said...

much much longer.... it hurts to leave. i spent the weekend with Julio in Valparaíso and have some really cute photos of us.

Yeah sort of forgot about the blog too... have a back log of things to right now so I can spent the few black days before work starts loading photos, writing and generally feeling sorry for myself.

richardwatts said...

Hugs.