Wednesday, October 01, 2008

gay pride worldwide


Julio refused to go and it took us some time of heated and confused discussion to understand why, with all my bad spanish and his seeming inability to slow his speech to a rate that renders understanding possible. At first I thought he believed that all gay relationships were un-natural and should therefore not be celebrated and kept in secret and shame, to which I replied with some indignation: "¡NO SOY CONTRA NATURALEZA!". He clarified, it wasn't that he thought gay relationships were wrong, but wider Chilean society were of such an opinion and he didn't see how one pride march was going to anything but cement this feeling. Coming from a semi-radical background, I can't say I agreed.

I bought a book the other week that chronicles Chilean political posters of the 60s and 70s, there's one colourful print that states that "sometimes praying isn't enough" with a priest in full vestment, arm held back, taught, ready to hurl a rock. What have gay people ever gained from staying quiet? In the 1930s there was a Chilean president, Carlos Ibáñez del Campo who rounded up homosexuals in a series of systematic witch-hunts. These people were never heard from again and it is rumoured that they were thrown alive, their feet set in concrete, to the bottom of the ocean. Only fifteen years ago, in the port city of Valparaiso, a place famous for its art and cosmopolitan life style, the gay nightclub Divine was deliberately burnt to the ground; sixteen patrons died inside. No one has ever been charged.

Inroads have been made in Chile regarding treatment of their gay population. In 1998 sodomy laws were removed from the statutes and since there have been efforts made by all levels of government to improve relations with the gay community. It's not perfect, no. I have read numerous and recent reports of police brutality against gays but victims, with the assistance of groups such as the Movimiento de Integración y Liberación Homosexual (MOVILH), are making complaints against offending officers. Again I ask, what have we ever gained from staying silent?

On 27 September, I attended Santiago's third gay pride march. I can't say I understood all the speeches. There was the municipal councellor candidate, Gozalo Cid and Rolando Jimémez, president of MOVILH among others. They expressed solitarity for the gay community in Ecuador as, from what I could understand, a Bill is to be introduced that would remove expression of same-sex love from their equivalent of a Crimes Act.



Like any pride march, anywhere in the world there was music and dancing and girating and one really sexy guaso (sort of the Chilean equivalent of a cowboy) shaking his hotpanted clad booty to "girls just want to have fun" by Cyndi Lauper. And there were the drag queens, walking down the Alemada in impossibly high heels, drapping themselves provocatively infront of the presidential palace. This is what the media cover, Julio told me emphatically, not the old men holding hands for the first time in public, not the same-sex families with children or the parents who want their gay boy or girl to live without shame and guilt and fear. They ignore the long line of gay Chilean writers and intellectuals such as Andrés Perez, Pedro Lemebel and Pablo Simonetti. They sensationalise and pervert and instill prejudice.

Maybe so, but nonetheless I bought him a badge that says "No soy gay pero mi pololo sí," I'm not gay but my boyfriend is. It took him a few minutes to see the funny side but eventually he let his frown give to smile and I was content.


1 comment:

Blackmattachine said...

I am just wondering how my lgbtq family is faring in the wake of today's attempted coup by the police.