Thursday, October 25, 2007

I left Arequipa yesterday with Sarah, seen off my Lindsey and Wayra. The first of many farewells I suppose. Wayra, before we left to catch our bus to Cuzco, said to me that while we had only known each other a short time, he could tell we were all good and pure people. He said, as I understood it with my bad spanish, that he knew this from when we first met at Cruz del Condor, as we sat about freezing our balls off waiting for the sun to rise and the condor to fly us by. He said we were different from the other tourists that he meets in Chivay and along the Canyon, and that with my bad spanish, Lindsey`s better spanish and Sarah`s amusing mistakes, we were able to exchange jokes and laughs and eventually email addresses. He said that while we were from different cultures and beliefs, what was important that we felt, pressing his fist to his chest.

We hugged and he kissed me on the cheek saying "hasta luego mi hermano" and we saluted each other, fist to heart, fist to sky.

I think this is my first real connection here in South America, life is about feeling something I guess. I just wish I knew what that something was.

2 comments:

richardwatts said...

Perhaps it's about feeling alive?

Dreck said...

This is good.
You'll have a trip with heaps of amazing experiences and half-truths that you won't be able to process until later when you're back in oz washing the dishes or something some dull night, when a blinding light will go off in your head and something will make a lot of sense for just a moment.
And then you'll finish washing the dishes and read a book.