Sunday, June 24, 2007

21.10.2002

The cold steel sky filled with the black beating wings of a large flock of ravens, the sound of their calls and the clutter of thousands of wings as they beat against the wind, dominating the space between the Menzies Building and that of the Union as they circled round the twelve storey eyesore. Standing on the concrete walkway that divides the lawn, I watched as one then two and many more of the birds broke formation and began to land. Quickly I find myself surrounded by the ravens, hopping around, settling themselves and seemingly pausing to wait. Silence falls all around me, waking me decidedly unsettled.

A few days later, on the morning of Monday 21 October 2002 Huan Yun "Allen" Xiang entered his fourth year econometrics class with five loaded hand guns and opened fire, yelling "You never understand me," killing two of his classmates and wounding another five. He was supposed to be giving a class presentation.

The two students who died were Steven Chan and Xu Hui "William" Wu. In his trial it came out that Xiang believed Wu to be an agent of evil who intended to destroy him academically and it was his own destiny to kill him. This gives some insight into his mindset that day and it is not surprising that he has since been diagnosed with paranoid delusional disorder and is serving a possible twenty-five year sentence at Thomas Embling psychiatric hospital.

The class' lecturer Lee Gordon-Brown who had already sustained bullet-wounds to his arm and knee, with the assistance of a student named Alastair Boast were able to wrestle Xiang to the ground while he attempted to switch to another gun. They waited fifteen minutes for the police to arrive and by that time Gordon-Brown had already passed out of consciousness.

I was finishing up my honours in history that October at Monash University Clayton and the schools of history and archaeology shared the sixth floor where the shootings took place, with economics.

I was not at uni that day.

wikipedia - monash shooting

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, I remember that day.

They gave you a sheet on 'the sypmptoms of post traumatic stress disorder' and we all laughed because it seemed to describe most of our friends' regular mental states.

And then I guess I forgot about it until now. Bizarre.