Tuesday, April 11, 2006

dead flag blues

Heard a tune by God Speed You Black Emperor called The Dead Flag Blues today and I scrawled this down on a series of receipts that I had in my wallet. Apparently the dialogue is part of some film one of the band members efrim has been working on. So if your feeling like you just wish the world would end now now now, like I am, then as Molly Meldrum says: "Do yourself a favour, check it out" and revel in it.

Transcription:

The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

The government is corrupt
and we're all on so many drugs with the radio on
and the curtains drawn


We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death
the sun is fallen down and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

It went like this
the buildings topled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies
picked throught the rubble and pulled out their hair

The skyline was all beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

I said kiss me you're beautiful
these are truely the last days
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or fever

No comments: