Monday, February 06, 2006

valentines day approaches

It is that time of year when all those lucky enough to be in a relationship get to talk oh so loudly about hallmark conspiracies and other corporate highway robberies, how february 14 is just another day on the calendar and Valentine was just more smoke and mirrors, the creation of a middle ages church wanting to usurp another pagan holiday. But here I am about to let another Valentines day pass me by and all I can think about is sitting in some high school classroom aged 16, oh too fat and heavy, miserable in the summer heat refusing to take off that woolen school-jumper and I knew then instinctfully that this day, St Valentine's Day would always be tinged with bitterness and loneliness. That I would then sit in my room at home and write bad metal lyrics with my less than subtle allusions to suicide and back in the present with only the barest minimum distance that irony allows me I embrace this day as mine and I dedicate it to some poor make-believe martyr whose church will no longer acknowledge him and to those pagan gods whose festival has been co-opted first by a religion bent on winning converts and now by greeting card companies set on making money. We are the hapless victims of this holiday and with forboding and the weight of history, theirs and mine, Valentines Day approaches.

5 comments:

nobody said...

This year I am going to send myself a 'Valentines' in the mail. I will address it 'Your Secret Admirer'... when it arrives I will stick it on the fridge

And then?

NO AND THEN!

Drama in Action said...

I'm going to dance with a heart shaped box of chocolates amongst a field of swaying tulips. And get love tattooed on both my knuckles.

V ery
A lluring
L ovely
E mergency.
N eed
T oast.
I 'm
N umb.
E nd

i think there's someting in that for everyone.

nobody said...

dear drama in action you are as camp as a row of pit toilets!!!!!!!!

g-man said...

dear drama in action, I find the idea of dancing with a box of chocolates anywhere let alone in a field of tulips, well frankly, I find it unsettling. We as species have a responsibility to keep the bloodline pure, and while I fully encourage boxes of chocolates to pursue happiness (even in their limited capacity), but to flirt with the kind of intimacy you suggest is... well uncomely and perhaps even unnatural.

g-man

Dack Davros said...

If you spell VALENTINE backwards you get GIVE CHOCOLATE TO GIRLFRIEND AND GET BLOWJOB. FUCK YEAH!!