Friday, October 13, 2006

walk the line (of control)

I fell asleep last night reading Tariq Ali's The Clash of Fundamentalisms, the book shutting, eyes shutting closed just as I finished the chapter on Kashmir and Jammu. And this is what I dreamt:

Surrounded by the sublime beauty of the himilayan footfalls I sling my rifle on my shoulder surveying the vast green land beneath. I am on duty, a Kashmiri dreaming the dream of an independent state not torn apart by foreign powers with their foreign motives and objectives, fighting with foreign weapons. As I enjoy the autumn sunshine in this reverie I am punctured through my woollen tunic, my phiren by maybe two or three or four bullets, one entering through my neck; there was red and then an overexposed white that bleached the land and the sky leaving only the man, the interloper that shot me; maybe he is Jaish-e-Mohammed or Harkat-ul-Mujahideen or some such but as I spit blood trying to breath I use my leeched strength to prop up my Kalish, aim and pull the trigger watching the bastard crumple, my weapon flashing without sound....

... and then I woke in such a state that I was convinced I was still breathing through the hole in my neck that’d been pierced through by a 39mm shell.

... a friend at work said she thought I dreamt a past life and well I suppose this is a comforting thought when maybe that this is all coming from anywhere but inside my head.

4 comments:

walypala said...

Hmmm, I think there's something in that for all of us!

Anonymous said...

39 millimetres is huge. Bigger than the diameter of a golf ball. That dude had some big-ass dream bullets. I really don't think you have to worry about your dreams being unusual. A dream in itself is unusual. Your dreams don't seem out of the ordinary in their content to me.

g-man said...

isn't the bullet measured in length?

Anonymous said...

The feature of a bullet would be the caliber/calibre, which is a measurement of the width or diameter of the projectile. This affects the barrel size also. The length of a bullet isn't really a feature.